Jun 15, 2009

The British Cement Co.


Okay, the first thing that I noticed about Illinois when I got here is the stupid road system. I had never been to a place where directions sound something like this:

1. Drive down Ogden Ave.
2. Turn left onto Ogden Ave.

What? Why do I have to turn onto a road I'm already on. If I want to stay on a road, it should take no effort.

Plus, it is impossible to guess how to get somewhere. This is because roads are by no means in a grid system. In Tucson, if I know that I am on Speedway, and Grant is to my north, then by turning onto Swan which runs north/south, I'll eventually find Grant. Not so in Naperville. If you're on a north/south road for more than a mile, suddenly you're going west. And then, if you go one more mile, you're suddenly on an entirely different road because the road that you were on turned left a half mile ago! And God help you if you turned right, because that one takes you directly onto a toll road, and now your stuck paying $0.80 to be lost.

Now, since we're stuck on a toll road to who knows where, I'll explain how Illinois cement trucks add insult to injury. Here is a picture of what a cement truck looks like:









Ask any 6 year old boy what a cement truck looks like, and this would be it. Having been a 6 year old boy, I too assume that this is what a cement truck looks like. I've grown very accustomed to this concept, as I feel I have every right to.

Now that that's been established, let's get back to the previous scenario:
While stressing out about finding an exit before the next toll booth comes along, all of a sudden I am fearing for my life as a cement truck is hurtling toward me on the wrong side of the freeway. After much panic and swerving, I realize that the truck isn't getting any closer. In fact, it's moving in the same direction I'm going, despite the fact that it's facing me. That's when I realize that the makers of this cement truck were never 6 year old boys. Here is what it looks like:










Where the heck did this thing come from, Looking Glass Land? Not only is the mixer facing the wrong direction, they added a little box in the back just to make you think that the driver is on that end. There's even a exhaust pipe in the same place as a normal cement truck. It's like they want you have a heart attack on the freeway. I've seen more than a few of these, and I freak out every time.

So if you come to visit...you've been warned.

4 comments:

  1. Holy crap that cement truck would be scary. How is that a better design at all? And kudos for the new post, just a few hundred more to catch up with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you lived in the actual city of Chicago, their grid system is actually pretty good. They even number the east-west streets so you know how far away you are from downtown. We're 112 1/2 blocks away from downtown. That would be a long walk.

    I'll be back in the Chi for the 4th, then we can make some yummies or toss balloons or something else similarly delightful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrGmD2wk8m4 weird Als new music video. Could be greatest video ever, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete

Unless you don't want to.